Wednesday, January 6, 2010

tea in a tin

I was hit with an unexpected challenge today, and it's all to do with tea.

I've been moving towards loose tea for some time, in part because I like it better and in part, as always to reduce the packaging used by the process. I had been getting them in bags,but I looked at the bags not long ago and realized they were covered in plastic. The bags themselves weren't plastic, but the outside was a pretty crinkly sort of thing. It seemed to me at the time that the best solution was to start getting tins filled instead.

Well, I just arrived back in Vancouver last night, so when I went out for my first grocery shopping trip today (not a big one, just a few breakfast essentials) I went down to Bayswater tea intending to get myself some good green tea in a tin. I picked out the tin I liked ($4.95 for a 100g-sized tin! I'm not sure I'm going to be able to afford to keep up the plastic-avoidance!) and handed it over to be filled with a jasmine-green blend. As she handed it back I looked more closely at the colorful design on teh outside. It looked awfully glossy to me, and felt very smooth. I think it might be coated in plastic. I don't know this for sure, and my homework for the day is now to figure out out designs get put on tins, but it sure looks plastic-y.

Sigh.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I do agree with you about plastic! I would love to get rid of it too, but have the same guilty things that I can't do without - laptop, bags, CD's, Dvd's etc. I also find I forget to take my cloth bags to the supermarket and end up buying a plastic onw, but I try, really try to buy things that aren't plastic wrapped and encased. I hate the stuff, but it's really hard to avoid, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should just bring your own tin next time. There are 3 stores in St. John's that will fill your tin / jar with loose tea if yo bring it in. I'm sure you can find somewhere in vancouver and for a better price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's david's tea on 4th (I don't know what the pricing is). and also...go to china town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, what about feminine hygiene products? They all seem to have plastic packaging... that one could pose an issue. But then, I have not looked at the drugstore yet. Maybe you should open a little shop... called Losing Plastic! All plastic free products!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOH, Feminine Hygiene is EASY PEASY! The cup, my dear, the diva cup, or luna cup or whatever. It's fantastic. And if that doesn't float your boat - Lunapads! Man, I never knew how comfortable a pad could be until I tried organic cotton... :-)

    ReplyDelete