Wednesday, January 27, 2010

the dangers of entertainment

I came across an accidental plastic use yesterday. It's one of those things that you just don't even think about until it happens and then you go, 'oh, shoot. Why didn't I think of that?'

I went to a 3D movie and the glasses, of course, were made of plastic and came wrapped in their own little individual plastic bags (that way you know it's sanitary, after all). Oh, despair. True conviction would have led me storming out of the movie and demanding my money back... alas I am not so committed. Plus, I didn't think my date would appreciate it.

On the plus side, I did get iced tea at the concession put into my water bottle. Said date laughed in an uncomfortable way that suggested he definitely thought I was crazy when I did that. One of the first times someone has reacted in that way, and also the first time I tried to get something put in my own container since the tea on the airplane. I was glad I happened to have my water bottle with me. The last time I went to a movie it was another cause for accidental plastic use as I hadn't brought any kind of container whatsoever with me, yet was extremely thirsty, so I bought a drink. With a straw. Horrors.

All this just means I can't go anywhere without a water bottle, and probably a container for food anymore. I haven't been venturing too far from the house much for the last two weeks, so I haven't thought much of it, but there was talk of grabbing food quickly at a Whole Foods or something last night and I was freaking out about not having a container to get food put in.

In the end I supped on popcorn. Much simpler. And it didn't even come in waxed paper bag!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I want to include this post in a piece I'm doing for BlogHer.com next week. Can you please email me? I want to ask you some questions.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Not sure how cinemas work over here but when I went to see Avatar 3D a couple of weeks ago at a Readings in Wellington they gave us 3D glasses at the gate and collected them back outside the cinema as everyone came out.

    I understand that they sanitise the glasses to be reused. I imagine reusing this way is much more cost effective and efficient than the disposable ones and obviously more environmentally friendly.

    ReplyDelete