Tuesday, January 19, 2010

bread, cheese and yogurt - to live without? or make your own?

I bought bread yesterday, for the first time since starting this project.

It's been a bit of a puzzle. Bread generally comes in plastic bags and even when it doesn't, paper bag-wrapped French bread, say, how am I to keep it fresh without storing it in a plastic bag?

I keep reminding myself that there was a time before plastic, and many of these activities were undertaken in that time. So what did people do about bread? I'm thinking they mostly ate the bread before it went stale, and my roommate pointed out that they probably also ate stale bread. That is, after all, how French toast began, is it not? Ok, so I decided to get bread at some point and see how I did with it. But I'd been having a tough time finding some. I hadn't looked very hard, mind you, but there wasn't anything good in the Safeway, and all of the bread at the bakery down the road was in plastic bags, not paper. I'm sure I could have gone to that bakery with a paper bag, but I wasn't that inspired by the bread, and just generally not that keen. I've also been thinking about baking bread, or biscuits, or buns. I was out yesterday hunting for the ingredients to make 'nutty oat cakes' from my Nut Gourmet cookbook, actually, which brought me to the Greek food store looking at bulk nuts, where I saw bread in paper bags.

I hadn't even realized how much I had been wanting bread until I saw the little round loaf (I could easily finish that off in a day or two, I thought) in the paper bag. It wasn't even waxed paper, just regular plain paper. It was a really good loaf of bread too, multigrain, sour dough, my mouth was watering just looking at it.

So I bought it. It was the only thing I got at the store, although I did take note of the dried cranberries they sell in bulk there, and the cheaper price for bulk walnuts.

It was $4.50. For a small loaf of bread. Unbelievable.

Damn tasty bread, though. And the avocado-cheese sandwhiches I made with it were amazing.

Oh, that's the other thing. I broke down and bought cheese. I couldn't help it, I love it too much! And I'd gone without for pretty much two weeks. I saw it in the cooler and it was calling to me...

I haven't given up my yogurt habit yet, either, but I'm still on the lookout for a suitable incubator, and once I find one I really will start making my own!

4 comments:

  1. about garbage:

    since writing this post I have discovered that Vancouver has a subsidized worm composting program. They will sell you a starter kit with 500 red wrigglers for a mere $25 and a mandatory worm composting workshop. I love this city. I am now on the waitlist. Yes, I could start my own worm kit, and maybe I will while I wait to make my way up the list, but I am far likely to procrastinate forever and ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. about cheese: many local corner delis or even those in grocery stores will sell it to you by the pound off a larger wheel or block and you could bring your own container for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I could. But every time I look in the deli counter all I see are plastic-wrapped chunks of cheese. Even if I get them to cut me a new chunk, they are still going to unwrap the plastic off a larger chunk to do it. Something about it just screams useless. Representative of the whole project, perhaps, but it's more in my face, and I don't like it.

    I think I've mostly decided to cut back on cheese and just occasionally buy it plastic-wrapped. Unless I find a good plastic-free supplier. But so far I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly! That's the thing about cheese that I am always trying to explain to people. My rule is that if I can see the plastic, it's off limits. For example, I kind of have a "Don't ask; don't tell" policy in restaurants. But if the plastic is in plain view, I can't do it. Same with cheese.

    I did end up buying a huge wheel of wax-covered cheese just to avoid the plastic. I wrote about it here:

    http://fakeplasticfish.com/2009/09/cheese-crazy-plastic-free/

    as well as a method for keeping the cheese fresh without plastic.

    As for bread, I am lucky that we have plenty of great bakeries here in the SF Bay Area, a couple of which don't bag the bread until you order it, so you can bring your own bag.

    I have found it stays fresher longer in a sealed metal tin, which I guess is like an old-fashioned bread box except my tin was originally filled with popcorn -- a gift from my dad.

    ReplyDelete