Saturday, January 2, 2010

The details of the resolution

So the idea is this: I am going to attempt to remove plastic from my life. I recognize that ultimately this is going to be impossible; the laptop that I am typing these words on is plastic, cds are plastic, my favourite hiking shirt is a delightfully efficient polyester blend. Nevertheless I am hopeful that there may be much to learn from the process of the attempt. This means no more plastic bags, eventually replacing my plastic drawers I store things in, getting milk in glass bottles, adn generally making consumer choices that mean not buying anything wrapped in plastic. We'll see how it goes - as indicated in my previous post I have already failed miserably today - but I think it's just a matter of making a commitment and then making different choices. So I'm going to try. Any input, ideas or encouragement would be much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. wow! Now that is a truly worthy effort! If more of did the same, eventually things would change!
    I already try to never use bags, with a hefty supply in my car, but I really do not try enough.
    Nothing worthwhile comes easily, and don't think of the failures, think of all the successes you have already had! First and foremost, a change in thought process. I am once again proud of you and your actions!
    And speaking of which, have you read Infidel? Tony read it and insisted it be the next book I read. So, I am. It is by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. You likely already have, but just in cases... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed I have. It is a book that I think everyone on earth should read, actually. I'm glad Tony read it, and I'm glad you are, too!

    ReplyDelete