Sunday, June 6, 2010

ups and downs of an evening

These are the kinds of ups and downs that one experiences when trying to live plastic free.

I went out salsa dancing the other night. There was a lesson at 9 and then music afterwards. I didn't know what to expect in how it was set up and I wanted to travel light, so I didn't bring a bag - no purse or anything, and therefore no water bottle. I knew this was probably a mistake, but I didn't want to have to worry about keeping track of a bag if I was going to end up in a club or something so I didn't bring it. Also I had hopes I would have options in terms of getting something to drink.

Well the place wasn't a club, it was a community hall. And drinks were served in plastic cups. Or plastic water bottles. Or beer in a glass bottle.

I squeezed up to the bar planning on asking if there was anything at all the bartender could do for me so that I didn't have to consume plastic, noticed there were glasses on the shelf, and so I asked if I could use one.

The guy was totally rude. Totally shot me down, refused to help, and basically just walked away from me when I said I didn't want to use a plastic cup with no interest in trying to help.

And I got really upset! I mean, it's always upsetting to be so dismissed, but he just WALKED away. Like, even if I had changed my mind and decided to use the plastic, or if I wanted to buy a bottle or something I wouldn't have been able to because he was ignoring me. How the hell was I supposed to get something to drink??

It sucked.

So I left. I was actually tempted to just flat out leave, but I started with stepping outside to get some air aka taking a walk to find something to drink that didn't involve plastic. Luckily there was a gas station across the street and SUPER luckily they sold iced tea in glass bottles and - get this - they didn't even have the plastic seal around the metal lid!! I HATE that plastic seal, it excludes so many things I would otherwise be able to buy.

That gas station and glass bottle totally made my night. I returned to the salsa in a much happier mood, and extremely pleased to have stuck to the no plastic rule.

Two extremes in mood produced by the no plastic challenge. From extreme upset to extremely pleased in the space of about 10 minutes. This is my life without plastic. :-)

1 comment:

  1. oh so happy for you! It's so hard to make these big changes - especially when you don't find the support around you. love that you took a moment/breather outside and were able to find a different solution!

    ReplyDelete